Terms of Service
Terms of Service for RailPass.com
- Acceptance of Terms of Service.
- By using the Services in any manner, including but not limited to visiting or browsing the Site, you agree to these Terms of Service and all other operating rules, policies, and procedures that may be published from time to time on the Site by us, each of which is incorporated by reference and each of which may be updated from time to time without notice to you.
- Certain of the Services may be subject to additional terms and conditions specified by us from time to time; your use of such Services is subject to those additional terms and conditions, which are incorporated into these Terms of Service by this reference.
- These Terms of Service apply to all users of the Services, including, without limitation, users who are contributors of content, information, and other materials or services, registered or otherwise.
- ARBITRATION NOTICE AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER: EXCEPT FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DISPUTES DESCRIBED IN THE ARBITRATION SECTION BELOW, YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND US WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR CLASS-WIDE ARBITRATION.
You represent and warrant that you are at least 18 years of age. We may, in our sole discretion, refuse to offer the Services to any person or entity and change its eligibility criteria at any time. You are solely responsible for ensuring that these Terms of Service are in compliance with all laws, rules, and regulations applicable to you and the right to access the Services is revoked where these Terms of Service or use of the Services is prohibited or to the extent offering, sale, or provision of the Services conflicts with any applicable law, rule, or regulation. Further, the Services are offered only for your use, and not for the use or benefit of any third party.
- InterRail as an Agent; Products and Services Sold Through RailPass.com.
We only act as booking agent selling products and services provided by third parties (Principals). Our website offers for sale and contains information and advertising about products, services, events and/or programs, and links to other web sites that are not controlled or maintained by use. Each purchase of a Principal’s product or service is subject to that Principal’s rules or restrictions for each such product or service. Please review these rules and restrictions when you enter into transactions on our website. You are solely responsible for ensuring that your purchases with any Principal abide by these rules and restrictions, including terms or conditions of purchase set forth in the fare rules or contract of carriage. Please see specific EURAIL CONDITIONS OF USE section for details and conditions on using Eurail Passes.
We expressly disclaim any responsibility for any losses, damages, inconveniences (including, without limitation, any and all delays, cancellations, and missed connections) or other concerns related to your purchase or attempt to purchase any tickets, other travel related products or services, or any other product or service that may be accessed, made available, or disclosed through the RailPass.com website.
You agree that your access to and interaction with any product and booking information available through the RailPass.com website is at your own risk, and RailPass will have no liability with respect to the acts, omissions, errors, representations, warranties, breaches, or negligence of any Principal.
- Cancellation or Change of Booking Through RailPass.com
Only passes purchased from RailPass.com can be exchanged or refunded through us.
If you cancel your tickets or passes, you must return them to Railpass.com before the first date of travel. We will then refund the price of the tickets subject to the deduction of cancellation fees based upon the fare rules for the tickets. These will alter, depending on the relevant ticket conditions. In addition we have an overall administration charge on canceled tickets.
Please note that applications for exchange or refund of passes should be made by first calling or emails RailPass.com at the contacts provided in these Terms and Conditions. The following rules apply to change or refund:
- Lost or stolen passes are not refundable, exchangeable, or replaceable.
- Eurail Free Day Promotion Pass are not refundable or exchangeable.
- Any handling and/or issuing charges for passes are non-refundable.
- Unused Rail Passes are refundable within one (1) year from issue date or six (6) months from issue date where so stated, provided they have not been validated, have been canceled and so stamped at a retail station in Europe prior to the beginning of the validation period.
- All refunds on Rail Passes are subject to a 15% cancellation charge.
- Partially used or validated passes are 100% nonrefundable.
- Delivery of Passes
When your booking has been confirmed, your tickets will be dispatched direct to your door, to the address you have given by DHL, Federal Express or National Postal Service. Your order will be processed within one business day of receipt.
Please allow at least three working days for delivery to US addresses and five to seven days for international deliveries. Ticket orders for travel within three days cannot be accepted through this site and have to be ordered by telephone. Please call for further information and help.
RailPass.com cannot accept responsibility for postal delays or damaged tickets once they have been officially dispatched.
- Train reservations
Rail pass holders can reserve seats on Trenitalia trains on our affiliated website www.italiarail.com. Failure to reserve a seat on a Trenitalia high speed train will result in a fine being applied on board. Other railways have similar requirements for some of their trains. You shall verify with these railways whether reservation is compulsory.
- Definition. For purposes of these Terms of Service, the term “Content” includes, without limitation, information, data, text, photographs, videos, audio clips, written posts and comments, software, scripts, graphics, and interactive features generated, provided, or otherwise made accessible on or through the Services. For the purposes of this Agreement, “Content” also includes all User Content (as defined below).
- User Content. All Content added, created, uploaded, submitted, distributed, or posted to the Services by users (collectively “User Content”), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such User Content. You represent that all User Content provided by you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, and in compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. You acknowledge that all Content, including User Content, accessed by you using the Services is at your own risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage or loss to you or any other party resulting therefrom. We do not guarantee that any Content you access on or through the Services is or will continue to be accurate.
- Notices and Restrictions. The Services may contain Content specifically provided by us, our partners, or our users, and such Content is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights and laws. You shall abide by and maintain all copyright notices, information, and restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Services.
- Use License. Subject to these Terms of Service, we grant each user of the Services a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable license to use (i.e., to download and display locally) Content solely for purposes of using the Services. Use, reproduction, modification, distribution, or storage of any Content for other than purposes of using the Services is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from us. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any Content for commercial use or in any way that violates any third party right.
- License Grant. By submitting User Content through the Services, you hereby do and shall grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid, sublicensable, and transferable license to use, edit, modify, truncate, aggregate, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the User Content in connection with the Site, the Services and our (and our successors’ and assigns’) businesses, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Site or the Services (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third party websites and feeds), and including after your termination of your Account or the Services. You also hereby do and shall grant each user of the Site and/or the Services a non-exclusive, perpetual license to access your User Content through the Site and/or the Services, and to use, edit, modify, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Content, including after your termination of your Account or the Services. For clarity, the foregoing license grants to us and our users does not affect your other ownership or license rights in your User Content, including the right to grant additional licenses to your User Content, unless otherwise agreed in writing. You represent and warrant that you have all rights to grant such licenses to us without infringement or violation of any third party rights, including without limitation, any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Availability of Content. We do not guarantee that any Content will be made available on the Site or through the Services. We reserve the right to, but do not have any obligation to, (i) remove, edit or modify any Content in our sole discretion, at any time, without notice to you and for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such Content or if we are concerned that you may have violated these Terms of Service), or for no reason at all and (ii) to remove or block any Content from the Services.
- Territorial Restrictions. The ItaliaRail.com website is controlled and operated by RailPass from its offices in the United States of America. InterRail makes no representation that material available on the RailPass.com website are appropriate of available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. If you choose to access our website from other locations you do so at your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You agree to abide by applicable export control laws as well as all other applicable laws and regulations of the United States, and each of its states, localities and territories.
- Rules of Conduct.
- As a condition of use, you promise not to use the Services for any purpose that is prohibited by these Terms of Service. You are responsible for all of your activity in connection with the Services.
- You shall not (and shall not permit any third party to) either (a) take any action or (b) upload, download, post, submit, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any Content on or through the Service, including without limitation any User Content, that:
- infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity or violates any law or contractual duty (see our DMCA Copyright Policy in Section 7 below);
- you know is false, misleading, untruthful, or inaccurate;
- is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another's privacy, tortious, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, offensive, profane, contains or depicts nudity, contains or depicts sexual activity, or is otherwise inappropriate as determined by us in our sole discretion;
- constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail (“spamming”);
- contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, password or other information of ours or of any third party;
- impersonates any person or entity, including any of our employees or representatives; or
- includes anyone’s identification documents or sensitive financial information.
- You shall not: (i) take any action that imposes or may impose (as determined by us in our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our (or our third party providers’) infrastructure; (ii) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activities conducted on the Services; (iii) bypass, circumvent or attempt to bypass or circumvent any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Services (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Services); (iv) run any form of auto-responder or “spam” on the Services; (v) use manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to “crawl” or “spider” any page of the Site; (vi) harvest or scrape any Content from the Services; or (vii) otherwise take any action in violation of our guidelines and policies.
- You shall not (directly or indirectly): (i) decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the Services (including without limitation any application), except to the limited extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction, (ii) modify, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of any part of the Services, or (iii) copy, rent, lease, distribute, or otherwise transfer any of the rights that you receive hereunder. You shall abide by all applicable local, state, national, and international laws and regulations.
- We also reserve the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as we reasonably believe is necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, (ii) enforce these Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations hereof, (iii) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues, (iv) respond to user support requests, or (v) protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our users, and the public.
- DMCA Copyright Policy
InterRail has adopted the following general policy toward copyright infringement in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/legislation/dmca.pdf). If you believe that material or content residing on or accessible through Company’s websites or services infringes a copyright, please send a notice of copyright infringement containing the following information to the Designated Agent listed below:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright that has been allegedly infringed;
- Identification of works or materials being infringed;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing including information regarding the location of the infringing materials that the copyright owner seeks to have removed, with sufficient detail so that Company is capable of finding and verifying its existence;
- Contact information about the notifier including address, telephone number, and, if available, e-mail address;
- A statement that the notifier has a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement made under penalty of perjury that the information provided is accurate and the notifying party is authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the copyright owner.
Please contact the Designated Agent to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement for Company at DMCA@railpass.com or at:
P.O. Box 428
- Third Party Services.
The Services may permit you to link to other websites, services, or resources on the Internet, and other websites, services or resources may contain links to the Services. When you access third party resources on the Internet, you do so at your own risk. These other resources are not under our control, and you acknowledge that we are not responsible or liable for the content, functions, accuracy, legality, appropriateness, or any other aspect of such websites or resources. The inclusion of any such link does not imply our endorsement or any association between us and their operators. You further acknowledge and agree that we shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such website or resource.
- Payments and Billing
- Billing. We use a third-party payment processor (the “Payment Processor”) to bill you at the time of purchase of the products and services sold through the Site. The processing of payments will be subject to the terms, conditions and privacy policies of the Payment Processor in addition to this Agreement. We are not responsible for error by the Payment Processor. You agree to pay us, through the Payment Processor, all charges at the prices then in effect for any use of such Paid Services in accordance with the applicable payment terms and you authorize us, through the Payment Processor, to charge your chosen payment provider (your “Payment Method”). You agree to make payment using that selected Payment Method. We reserve the right to correct any errors or mistakes that it makes even if it has already requested or received payment.
- Payment Method. The terms of your payment will be based on your Payment Method and may be determined by agreements between you and the financial institution, credit card issuer, or other provider of your chosen Payment Method. If we, through the Payment Processor, do not receive payment from you, you agree to pay all amounts due upon demand.
- Warranty Disclaimer.
- We have no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that We have no duty to take any action regarding:
- Which users gain access to the Services;
- What Content you access via the Services; or
- How you may interpret or use the Content.
- You release us from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired Content through the Services. We make no representations concerning any Content contained in or accessed through the Services, and we will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, or legality of material or Content contained in or accessed through the Services.
- THE PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”, “AS AVAILABLE”, AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. WE, AND OUR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUPPLIERS, PARTNERS AND CONTENT PROVIDERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (I) THE SERVICES WILL BE SECURE OR AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (II) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; (III) ANY CONTENT OR SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT OR THROUGH THE SERVICES IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (IV) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK
- We have no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that We have no duty to take any action regarding:
You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless us, our affiliates, and each of our and their respective employees, contractors, directors, suppliers, and representatives from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of, or access to, the Services, Content, or otherwise from your User Content, violation of these Terms of Service, or infringement by you, or any third party using your identity in the Services, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will assist and cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
- Limitation of Liability.
IN NO EVENT SHALL WE, NOR OUR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS, BE LIABLE UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES (I) FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, DATA LOSS, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, COMPENSATORY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (HOWEVER ARISING), (II) FOR ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE (REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE OF ORIGINATION), OR (III) FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF (IN THE AGGREGATE) OF THE GREATER OF (A) FEES PAID TO US FOR THE PARTICULAR SERVICES DURING THE IMMEDIATELY PREVIOUS THREE (3) MONTH PERIOD OR (B) $500.00.
- ARBITRATION CLAUSE & CLASS ACTION WAIVER – IMPORTANT – PLEASE REVIEW AS THIS AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
- Arbitration. YOU AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND US (WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DISPUTE INVOLVES A THIRD PARTY) WITH REGARD TO YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH US, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DISPUTES RELATED TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND/OR RIGHTS OF PRIVACY AND/OR PUBLICITY, WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION UNDER THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION'S RULES FOR ARBITRATION OF CONSUMER-RELATED DISPUTES AND YOU AND WE HEREBY EXPRESSLY WAIVE TRIAL BY JURY; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU HAVE IN ANY MANNER VIOLATED OR THREATENED TO VIOLATE OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, WE MAY SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR OTHER APPROPRIATE RELIEF IN ANY STATE OR FEDERAL COURT IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK. DISCOVERY AND RIGHTS TO APPEAL IN ARBITRATION ARE GENERALLY MORE LIMITED THAN IN A LAWSUIT, AND OTHER RIGHTS THAT YOU AND WE WOULD HAVE IN COURT MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ARBITRATION. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a written Notice of Intent to Arbitrate ("Notice"). The Notice to InterRail should be addressed to: 15 Hancock Avenue, Newton, MA 02459 ("Arbitration Notice Address"). The Notice must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought ("Demand"). If we do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you may commence an arbitration proceeding. You may bring claims only on your own behalf. Neither you nor we will participate in a class action or class-wide arbitration for any claims covered by this agreement to arbitrate. YOU ARE GIVING UP YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE AS A CLASS REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS MEMBER ON ANY CLASS CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST US INCLUDING ANY RIGHT TO CLASS ARBITRATION OR ANY CONSOLIDATION OF INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATIONS. You also agree not to participate in claims brought in a private attorney general or representative capacity, or consolidated claims involving another person's account, if we are a party to the proceeding. This dispute resolution provision will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act and not by any state law concerning arbitration. In the event the American Arbitration Association is unwilling or unable to set a hearing date within one hundred and sixty (160) days of filing the case, then either we or you can elect to have the arbitration administered instead by the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services. Judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having competent jurisdiction. Any provision of applicable law notwithstanding, the arbitrator will not have authority to award damages, remedies or awards that conflict with these Terms of Service. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of, related to or connected with the use of the Services or these Terms of Services must be filed within one (1) year after such claim of action arose or be forever banned.
- Severability. If the prohibition against class actions and other claims brought on behalf of third parties contained above is found to be unenforceable, then all of the preceding language in this Arbitration section will be null and void. This arbitration agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with us.
Moreover, some jurisdictions do not permit mandatory arbitration of consumer disputes or choice of governing law, so this clause may not apply to you if your case falls within one of these jurisdictions.
- Governing Law.
These Terms of Service shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, including its conflicts of law rules, and the United States of America.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify or replace any of these Terms of Service, or change, suspend, or discontinue the Services (including without limitation, the availability of any feature, database, or content) at any time. We may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Services without notice or liability. While we will timely provide notice of modifications, it is also your responsibility to check these Terms of Service periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Services following notification of any changes to these Terms of Service constitutes acceptance of those changes, which will apply to your continued use of the Services going forward. Your use of the Services is subject to the Terms of Service in effect at the time of such use.
- Entire Agreement and Severability. These Terms of Service are the entire agreement between you and us with respect to the Services, including use of the Site, and supersede all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and us with respect to the Services. If any provision of these Terms of Service is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that these Terms of Service will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either party to exercise in any respect any right provided for herein shall not be deemed a waiver of any further rights hereunder
- Force Majeure. We shall not be liable for any failure to perform our obligations hereunder where such failure results from any cause beyond our reasonable control, including, without limitation, mechanical, electronic or communications failure or degradation.
- Assignment. These Terms of Service are personal to you, and are not assignable, transferable, or sublicensable by you except with our prior written consent. We may assign, transfer, or delegate any of our rights and obligations hereunder without consent.
- Agency. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of these Terms of Service and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect.
- Notices. You agree that, unless otherwise specified in these Term of Service, all communications under these Terms of Service will be made through email. Electronic notices should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No Waiver. Our failure to enforce any part of these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of our right to later enforce that or any other part of these Terms of Service. Waiver of compliance in any particular instance does not mean that we will waive compliance in the future. In order for any waiver of compliance with these Terms of Service to be binding, we must provide you with written notice of such waiver through one of our authorized representatives.
- Headings. The section and paragraph headings in these Terms of Service are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation.
Contact. You may contact us at the following address:
P.O. Box 428
Effective Date of Terms of Service: 10th July 2018
EURAIL CONDITIONS OF USE
1. Eurail Pass definition
A Eurail Pass consists of a ticket and a Pass Cover. Neither the ticket nor the Pass Cover is valid on its own. Those who travel using one without the other are subject to the payment of a full-fare ticket and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking.
2. A Eurail Pass is strictly personal
A Eurail Pass is strictly personal, non-transferable, and valid only upon presentation of a passport or other recognized photographic identification document (no copies accepted). Those who travel with a Eurail Pass without a passport or a legal equivalent are subject to the payment of a full-fare ticket and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking.
3. A Eurail Pass must be activated
A Eurail Pass must be activated before it can be used. In case a pass is not activated at issuance, activation can be done at a major train station ticket window or at a Eurail Aid Office (see Rail Planner App). An activated pass will show the first and last day of validity of the pass. Activation must take place within eleven months of the issuing date stamp in the upper right hand corner of the ticket. Activation by the ticket inspector is allowed on board a train only if the pass holder is entering the valid country on a train from a country where the pass is not valid. In such cases the pass holder must report to the train staff immediately upon boarding the train. Those who travel using a ticket without an activation date stamp are subject to the payment of a fullfare ticket and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking. The train staff administering the fine and issuing the full-fare ticket will also activate the pass.
4. Countries and companies for which the Eurail Pass is valid
4.1 Validity of the pass
The Eurail Global Pass is valid for travel with the participating railway undertakings and shipping companies in the countries listed on page 5. Eurail Select and Eurail One Country Passes are only valid for the country, countries or companies that are printed on the ticket. All participating railway undertakings and shipping companies are listed in the Rail Planner App under Pass Benefits. A Eurail One Country Pass is not valid for travel in the country of residence of the pass holder.
4.2 Journey not entirely covered by the validity of the pass
If a traveler chooses to make a journey which is not entirely covered by the validity of his pass, the missing section has to be paid for at a normal fare.
Benefits are price reductions offered to the pass holders. Not all passes offer the same benefits. A benefit can only be obtained:
On presentation of an activated pass; within the overall validity of a pass; generally only in Europe from the local ticket office, call-centre or website of the company offering the benefit Eurail Passes entitle the holder to benefits on the lines of some companies and non-transportation organisations as listed in the Rail Planner App.
For details regarding the specific benefits see the Rail Planner App. There are two kinds of benefits, namely those entitling to free passage/entrance and those granting a reduction.
5.1 Free and reduction benefits
For both free and reduction benefits for a domestic service, the pass must be valid in the country where the service is granted. For a reduction benefit on an international shipping line the pass must be valid in the country of departure or the country of arrival but for a free benefit on an international shipping line the pass must be valid in the country of departure and the country of arrival. For holders of a Flexi pass, reduction benefits can be used during the entire period of validity of the pass. Free travel benefits for Flexi pass holders can only occur on a date that has been filled in on the Travel Calendar.
6. Recording Travel Diary details
Before boarding a train, bus, or boat, each journey must be recorded on the Travel Diary. Please be aware that Travel Diary journey details are a crucial part of the ticket. Without these details your ticket is not valid. Those who travel without having recorded the Travel Diary journey details are subject to the payment of a full-fare ticket and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking.
7. Flexi Pass: filling in the Travel Calendar box on the ticket
Flexi Pass holders may choose the days on which they travel within the period of overall validity of the pass. Before boarding the first train, bus, or boat on a travel day, the date must be correctly entered by pen in blue or black non-erasable ink only (using a pencil is forbidden) in the corresponding Travel Calendar boxes on the ticket. The date must be entered with two digits (7th of May is 07/05) and in sequential order as in the following example:
Those who travel on a date that has not been entered on the ticket are subject to the payment of a full-fare ticket and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking. Once a travel date is entered, any attempt to correct it will be considered an attempt of fraud and the ticket will be confiscated. If a mistake is made, the pass holder can:
· Enter the correct date in the next travel day box, which means that the pass holder loses a (non-refundable) travel day; or
· In all other cases, before ticket control, ask a ticket inspector for advice.
8. Flexi Pass: overnight journeys
If the pass holder boards a direct overnight train after 19.00h (7 pm), and the train arrives at its final destination after 04.00h (4 am), it is only necessary to enter the date of arrival in the Travel Calendar boxes on the ticket. This also covers travel between 19.00h (7 pm) and 24.00h (midnight) on the date of departure, as long as the dates of departure and arrival both fall within the overall period of the pass’ validity. When using an overnight ferry covered by the pass, either the date of departure or arrival may be entered in the Travel Calendar boxes on the ticket. If the pass holder boards an overnight train before 19.00h (7 pm), it is necessary to fill in two travel days on the Travel Calendar.
9. Seat availability, reservations, and surcharges
A Eurail Pass does not guarantee a seat on a train or boat, unless a separate reservation is secured in advance. Fees for seat reservations, sleeping accommodation, port taxes, meals, and other services while on board trains and boats are not included in the pass. For certain trains and ferries, reservations in advance are compulsory and surcharges and/or supplements may apply. Pass holders must book and/or pay in advance for the following:
- Seat reservation for most high-speed trains (like SNCF TGV, Thalys, Lyria, Trenitalia Freccia, RENFE AVE). The holder must pay charges and supplements in advance, in particular, those levied for seat reservations (sometimes additional services are included in the reservation fee)
- Sleeping accommodation: the use of sleeping accommodation (couchettes, beds and sleeperettes) for all night trains
- Panoramic coach: some scenic trains have the option to travel in a special panoramic coach, which requires a reservation.
- Meals, which are included in the supplement of some trains.
- Other services offered on board trains (telephone, newspapers etc.)
- Special ferry surcharges; Pass holders must book and/or pay the following in advance:
- The use of cabins, berths and reclining seats on ships of the ferry companies
- Season supplements during the months June to September on the shipping lines operated by Attica Group (Superfast Ferries and Blue Star Ferries) or Minoan Lines between Italy and Greece
- Port taxes
- The use of certain boats.
10. Misuse of a Eurail Pass and confiscation Railway staff are entitled to confiscate a pass:
- Which is a photocopy or a counterfeit
- That is being used by anyone other than the person to whom it was issued
- On which the data has been altered (on any of the boxes), • Used outside its period of validity
- Used without a passport or other recognized photographic identification document (no copies accepted). Moreover, the pass holder is subject to the payment of a full fare ticket for the journey made and a maximum fine of 200 euro, subject to the rules of the relevant railway undertaking.
In all the cases above, the pass holder is considered to be attempting fraud against both Eurail Group and the carrier they are traveling with. This will be reported to national authorities, who will determine the appropriate penalties.
With regard to the transportation of luggage, holders of a Eurail Pass are subject to the same conditions as holders of normal tickets with the railway undertaking of the train they travel on.
12. Eurail Pass period of validity
A Eurail Pass is valid within the overall time period indicated on the pass. Travel can begin after 00.00 hours on the first date of validity, and the last trip must be completed by midnight (24.00 hours) on the last date of validity.
13. 1st and 2nd class
A Eurail Pass is valid for travel in the class indicated on the ticket. 1st class passes are also valid in 2nd class carriages. Those wishing to travel 1st class with a 2nd class pass must pay the full difference between 1st and 2nd class fare on the respective route. There is no refund for 1st class pass holders traveling in 2nd class.
Citizens from countries outside the European Union and outside the countries listed hereafter, or persons officially residing outside the European Union and outside the countries listed hereafter, are eligible to travel with a Eurail Pass: Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and Vatican City. Citizens from EU member countries or one of the countries listed above, and persons officially residing in one of these countries are eligible to travel with an Interrail Pass. Proof of citizenship can be established by a passport/identity card. Proof of residence can be established by government issued residency documents.
15. Duplicates and replacement of Eurail Passes
A duplicate Eurail Pass cannot be issued for those that are lost or stolen. Damaged passes or passes bearing incorrect information (due to the Issuing Office or the officer who activated the ticket) may be replaced without any payment. A pass which is damaged by the owner can be replaced if an extra fee is paid. The pass holder has to pay 30 euro or the equivalent in local currency in case of a Eurail Global Pass or Eurail Select Pass. The fee for the replacement of a Eurail One Country Pass is fixed by the carrier concerned. In the event of incorrectly issued tickets the holder may not alter it under any circumstances. He/she must return to the issuing office or take it to the nearest Eurail Aid Office for replacement. Deletion or alterations on the pass shall be treated as a case of misuse (see article 10).
16. Eurail Pass categories
Restrictions apply to using Eurail Passes in different categories: • A Child Pass can only be used by travelers who are younger than 12 years of age on the first day that the pass is valid. A Child Pass can only be used in combination with an Adult Pass and a maximum of two Child Passes per Adult Pass can be issued. Children younger than 4 years of age can travel for free and without a pass, unless a separate seat or bed is requested. In that case a separate Child ticket or pass may be required. In some countries different age restrictions may apply for children traveling on a Eurail One Country Pass. • A Youth Pass can only be used by travelers who are younger than 26 years of age on the first day that the pass is valid. • A Saver Pass is valid for everyone in the party (between two and five Adults) listed on the Control Voucher, but only when they are traveling with the Saver Pass in their possession. If people in the party split up and travel separately, those who are not carrying the Saver Pass will need to buy a separate train ticket. Refunds cannot be applied in this instance.
17. Cancellation and refund policy
In order to obtain a refund, the pass holder shall either:
· Return the pass to the place of purchase before the first day of validity, or
· Have a railway official certify the ticket as ‘UNUSED’ before the first day of validity.
Refund applications for passes certified as ‘UNUSED’ are accepted up to a year after the date of issue. Refunds are subject to the deduction of a 15% cancellation fee. Once activated, passes are considered ‘used’ and, therefore, non-refundable. Passes that are partially used, lost, damaged or stolen will not be refunded or replaced. The same applies to tickets of any sort purchased to replace lost or stolen tickets. All requests for refund for tickets must be made in writing by the ticket holder exclusively at the agency/office where the pass in question has been purchased while presenting the original ticket in its ticket cover.
Eurail Group G.I.E. only acts as an intermediary of the European carriers, and is not liable for operation of the carriers or for damages or extra costs incurred due to loss of baggage, theft, force majeure, strikes, cancelled trains or other causes.
19. Compensation policy
In the event that a pass holder experiences, during the period of validity of the pass, three or more train delays that are longer than 60 minutes each, he/she will have the right to apply for compensation from the Eurail Group (two or more delays in case of a One Country Pass). For further information and for details on the procedure for compensation, please refer to www.eurailgroup.org/compensation.
20. Legal provisions
Pass holders are subject to these Conditions of Use and to the Conditions of Transport of the carrier(s) that they utilize with the Eurail Pass, as well as to applicable legislation, including Regulation (CE) 1371/2007 when traveling in EU Member States. If the carriers involved in the services have implemented the ‘Uniform Rules concerning the contract for GCC-CIV/PRR’, the transport will be also subject to these rules. Any dispute is subject to the jurisdiction of the country where the transport was or should have been performed.